Welcome to Strosser Vacation 101.
First lesson: Nothing will go as planned.
Lesson 2: see lesson 1.
Congratulations-you've officially graduated from Strosser Vacation 101!
For years, Clinton has followed the story of Mickey and Danny Thompson. Mickey built a car that set land speed records on the salt flats of Bonneville, but was gunned down over a business dispute before he could compete again with his son, Danny. Danny has since returned to the racing scene with the same car to try to revive his father's legacy and set some more records. We wanted to be part of that rebuilding. At first, we deliberated whether we would go at all. Then we decided that, yes, we will go, and then the weather was iffy. Finally, on Wednesday, the SCTA posted they would delay racing, but it would still be held. We bought our plane tickets and paid for our hotel reservation We were going now, no matter what.
Friday, I dropped off the kids and the dog at Nana's and Poppy's at 6pm and returned home to finish packing my own suitcase and readying the house to be gone for 5 days. 4:00am Saturday came awfully early. We left by 4:40, only 10 minutes behind schedule. About 10 minutes into the drive, I realized we didn't have a copy of our insurance card for the car rental. We turned around to retrieve it, and then we were REALLY late All this is not a surprise to the Strosser clan, who is perpetually, by definition, late. So, we screeched to a halt in long-term parking and boarded a miraculously present shuttle at 5:31am. I checked in online, so we just had to go thru security. I whipped off my shoes, emptied my pockets, and pulled out my baggie of liquids, tossed them in the bins, and stood on the little yellow feet with my arms stretched overhead. Behind me, I heard, 'What's that on your pants, sir?" Clinton replied, "I spilled water on my lap in the car." "I'm sorry, but I have to touch it." the security guard replied. I thought we were going to miss our flight right then and there, to the tune of a $200 change fee per ticket. Turns out, that took all of a couple seconds and we were speeding through the airport. On the way, we dodged sleepy travelers and wandering toddlers, all at breakneck speed while pulling a suitcase and trying to finish tying my shoes. We skidded to a stop in front of our gate at 5:50am for a 6am flight and heard, "Good morning, Mr. and Mrs. Strosser! We've been waiting for you!" That's flight attendant speak for "Get your a** on the plane-You're late!" The flight attendants rebuke was nothing compared to the icy stares of our fellow passengers as we boarded the plane. I'd like to note, we arrived 10 minutes ahead of schedule in Phoenix. The layover and the rest of the flight were uneventful, thankfully! As I settled into my seat, I turned my phone off and tried to lower my heart rate and relax.
We touched down in Salt Lake City about 10am and went in search of our rental car. Our attendant had a bum foot and asked if we wanted a free upgrade to a minivan, since the compacts were parked so far away. We declined, on the basis of gas mileage and ease of parking. We settled on a black VW Jetta, just one step up from the compact we reserved, but a nice car, nonetheless They didn't even ask for my insurance card.
As we pulled out of the airport in search of Coachman's, a cash-only dive recommended by the Enterprise attendant for breakfast for their Swedish pancakes, I checked my phone. There, on the screen, was a text that changed our whole trip: "Hey, I saw the races were canceled for good. Is that true?" or something like that. We spent the rest of our time at breakfast (FANTASTIC food and atmosphere, btw) searching the SCTA website for confirmation, and yes, it was true. So now what?
I texted Clinton's cousin Lance and his brother and sister-in-law, Garrett and Charla, both of whom live in Utah, and told them we had a much freer schedule than we'd originally anticipated. I sat back and waited for a reply. While I waited, I idly perused the Utah visitors website for ideas of how to spend our 5 days, now that we wouldn't be at the track for most of them.
| Danny Thompson's car in front of Montego Bay Casino |
![]() |
| "Excuse me-Is this carpool parking?" |
| on the salt flats |
| a streamliner parked at a hotel in Wendover |
| Genius decided to play in the wet salt and got stuck |
![]() |
| At the salt flats |
When we reached the top of the mountain, we were pelted with what I first thought was rain, but it turned out to be little ice balls. In August. Crazy.After the 'rain' let up, we hiked around a bit and rode the chair lift down to ride the rides some more. We ate at a Mexican food restaurant at the resort and wisely chose to abide by the signs which said "Don't feed the animals. They bite!" when the chipmunks, ground squirrels and potguts came begging at our table (see video). Sunburnt, full of good food, and exhilarated from all the activity, we drove back down to SLC. Once there, after waving at all the zombies running around for Comic-con, we found a little gastropub, Gracie's, with a second story patio in downtown and drank a beer, watching the scenery and people with equal interest.
| on the drive to Park City |
| abandoned mine building |
| Water tanks for abandoned mine |
| view of Park City from the lift |
| One of the many planes we saw at Hill AFB |
For our final destination of the trip, we chose Timpanogos Cave in American Fork Canyon-an aggressive venture, to be sure. There, we met Lance and his 3 sons, Brayden, Isaiah, and Carter. I knew right then I was out-manned and would probably fall behind. There were signs warning, "This hike is strenuous. Please rest often" or something like that. When we left Snowbird, there were signs on the exit doors stating, "Outside these doors, hazards exist. Please use caution." so I didn't take those warnings in Timpanogos quite as seriously as I probably should have. The hike to the cave is about a mile and a half. But it's almost straight up. You gain 1100 feet of altitude in that mile and a half, to end at the mouth of the cave at over 6700 feet. For a sea-level dweller, it might as well have been climbing into outer space. After about the 4th switchback, I have never been so glad to see a bench. I was already out of breath, and was ready for a break.
| Seriously? You're taking my picture right now?! At least the boys look like they're having fun. |
When we entered the cave, the sweat on my clothes made the 45 degree chill even colder, but after a few minutes, I didn't even notice anymore. The cave is actually 3 caves joined together by man-made tunnels. Each room or cave had flowstone formations that looked like flowing rivers in the rock and so much more. To say the cave was beautiful is an understatement! I especially enjoyed the story of how they were found and subsequently opened to the public. Some of the passages were quite narrow and required acrobatics to get through them without touching the formations-no small feat with a backpack and after the exertion of climbing the mountain. Our general consensus: What do you mean, they were playing around and found the entrance? Why would they be climbing up this far without a reason, and how would they have the energy afterward to 'play around'??
| View of the canyon and mountains and the city beyond from the mouth of the cave |
The next morning was spent taking care of a little business on the computer-emails and such, and another breakfast at McDonald's. We packed up our things, read for a while and checked out of the hotel. After exploring North Salt Lake City, driving around, we headed to the airport and checked into our flight. We did the usual airport pastimes-reading, eating, people watching, etc.-and boarded our plane. This time, there was no rushing, no running, no icy stares, and despite a little turbulence, the flight home was uneventful. We retrieved our car and left the Austin airport about 930pm, picked up Taco Bell on the way and afterward, slept soundly in our own bed.
![]() |
| This was taken at the hotel, but it's what I felt like when we finally arrived home! |
Even though our trip was nothing like we envisioned it when we set out, we had a terrific time! It's good to be home!



No comments:
Post a Comment