Recently, we returned from our second jaunt to Chicago. I was unable to get off of work on Tuesday, and Clint's class started Wednesday. For this reason, Clint drove to Chicago alone, and I flew up to meet him on Wednesday. For any other normal person, this is simply a matter of logistics. However, for me, it was a major, stress-inducing event. I have not flown since April of 2001. Needless to say, I was so nervous. I booked my ticket without incident and proceeded to spend the next 2 hours on the TSA website researching requirements and restrictions. Not only was my flight not direct (I had to change planes in Memphis), I was landing at O'Hare-only one of the largest air traffic hubs in North America. I have not been so nervous since the day I gave birth to our son, and then I had pain to distract me. Anyway, after arriving at the airport (generously conveyed by my friend Kristin), I had already checked in online, had no baggage to check and proceeded directly to the security line. I waited only about 15 minutes till I was called to the conveyor. I removed my shoes from my feet and laptop from my bag and followed them through the line. Nothing could have been easier. After redressing, I made my way to Book People and bought a couple of paperbacks to get me through the flight and the week. Then I purchased a cup of coffee and a muffin from Austin Java and found my gate. The plane was early, so I was glad I had plenty of time. There were 2 empty seats on the plane, and I managed to procure a seat next to one of them. Score! Once I arrived in Memphis, I ate a very good burger for lunch in the Sun City Cafe and boarded my plane with no drama. I sat next to a very nice young man from Lubbock (he boarded in Memphis?!) who was visiting his girlfriend in Chicago. I landed at O'Hare on time and called Clint to come get me. He was very brave to fight rush hour Chicago traffic and then try to navigate O'Hare after that. I was very impressed! (My HERO!) I waited about an hour before Clinton arrived. We ate mediocre sushi for dinner, found worse than mediocre ice cream for dessert and called it a night.
We spent the second night in the Westin Book Cadillac in downtown Detroit. It was a BEAUTIFUL hotel and the staff was super friendly. We passed the day driving up and down Woodward looking at all the cars participating in the Woodward Dream Cruise. There were muscle cars, classic cars, kit cars, cars you wouldn't expect people would bother to save-much less restore, and so much more to enjoy. It was a lot like South Congress during the Lone Star Round Up, but many more miles of cars. We did the same thing on Saturday. Sunday, we headed for home as fast as possible. We arrived home on Monday about 3pm, and at 6pm, it was back to work for me. It was a great trip overall, but boy am I glad to be HOME!
No comments:
Post a Comment