Today's visit did not go well. First rattle out of the box, I was told I have glucose in my sample, so they stuck me with a Glucometer. Turns out it was only 82, so everything turned out to be fine, but that only the first drop (hardy, har, har!) in the bucket. I almost passed out twice during the exam and then again several times later on when I was in the ultrasound room. I never actually left consciousness, but the black and white dots showed up several times. It was so bad, they brought me juice and crackers and a cold rag. Then, when they thought Heidi was breech, again, so they did an ultrasound, like I mentioned. The last time-at 34 weeks, she was not. This time-the little stinker had turned herself right-side-up within the last 4 weeks.
The Dr. said wwe had 3 choices. First, we could wait till labor started and try to turn her during labor from the inside-but that would have to happen (or be induced) within 2 or 3 days so she doesn't get too big to turn. Second, we can try to turn her now, at the risk of triggering labor, breaking the sac or worse. OR, we could just schedule a c-section. Each choice equally distatesful in its own way, I chose the second option to try to turn the baby now, from the outside. I am not sure if any of you have ever had this done, but it was the most exquisitely painful experience I have ever had, short of actual labor. What's worse, I came home and took a nap, and now, I'm even more sore. The Dr. had to push so hard to get her to move (she was sweating by the end), every muscle in my midsection now feels like it's been through severe trauma. I can barely walk. I called out sick to work today in the hopes I will be able to take care of myself and Colton tomorrow alone and work a full shift tomorrow night too. I'm probably a big old wuss, but this is truly painful! On the plus side, right after they turned her-before I got really sore-while they had me hooked up to the belly monitors for an hour, I got to sit in a recliner and read my book while having the nurses wait on me hand and foot, bring me juice and crackers and basically cater to me. That was really nice! :) However, on a side note and to my credit, the Dr. said that some women can't tolerate it and abort the procedure halfway thru in favor of a c-section. The good news is-they report she is now head down and still moving and healthy, and my water is still intact. So far, I've had many pretty strong contractions, but the Dr. said it was from irritation and they should calm down. If they don't-you could be in labor-keep us posted. I'm full term-38, almost 39 weeks, so it would be a blessing at this point. :)
From now till I deliver, I'm supposed to sit and stand, take it easy, and not lay flat-even to sleep- to ensure she doesn't stray from the head-down position. It wasn't like I slept well before, and now I have to sit up (okay, only @ 30') to sleep-nice. I'm not on bedrest, but I'm not supposed to do anything strenuous that might keep her from settling into position. The problem is, it hurts to sit and stand. I'm also supposed to sit on my exercise ball or in a cross-legged position (not sit on the ball cross-legged-yikes!) to try to ease her down into position so she gets "stuck"- to quote the Dr. I'm so glad I don't have any other obligations. (Where's the sarcasm font when you need it??)
I know I should be happy that Heidi is healthy-if breech- and I am healthy and there are no major issues to contend with. I made the mistake of saying, out loud, yesterday, that I had all my work paperwork in order, and I was down to just finishing my last shifts and organizing and allowed myself to relax a little bit. Then today's appointment came to bite me. Good grief. Is it time to deliver yet? I need some sweet tiny baby lovin' to get me thru the rest of this!
No comments:
Post a Comment