Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Reflections on parenting

Most of you are familiar with my lists.  Most of my lists are funny, but I refuse to make any guarantees for this one.  Between late-term pregnancy symptoms, exhaustion, a two-year-old who is pushing the envelope really hard and mandatory overtime looming at my job for at least the next two weeks, humor has been hard to come by.  I am a little over 3 weeks from my due date, and it's a challenge to get out of bed at all.  This list is an attempt to find the smile I've lost.


1. There is an INSANE amount of paperwork involved in being a parent.  There are day care forms, forms for when they miss too many days, Dr.'s notes for your work when you miss for the kid, forms for maternity leave, forms for schedule changes-it never ends.

2. Food for a growing child is expensive!  My kid eats both us and the sitter out of house and home.

3. Cuddling is the best feeling ever.  I love cuddling with Colton. Today, he was a weird little moody yo-yo, swinging back and forth from super frantic to angry to whiney to cuddly to fun.  The cuddliness made up for the bad parts.

4. Two-year-olds are weird moody little yo-yo's.  They have on and off switches, but no dimmers and no filters.  It's positively exhausting.

5. My two-year-old creates more laundry in 1 day than I do in a week.  Yes, it helps that I work from home and don't get out much, but I still wear clothes.  Apparently, he can't keep 1 outfit clean per day.

6. Colton's powers of comprehension and vocabulary amaze me every second of every day.

7. Colton's imagination is so creative.  I love to listen to what he makes up.

8. Parenting involves an enormous amount of decision-making.  Do you make them eat, do you refuse to let them wear mismatched clothes, do you schedule playdates or let them veg? That doesn't even include the medical decisions-are they sick enough for a doctor visit or just wait it out, band-aid or stitches, flu or allergies, ear infection or just waxy ears, dry skin or ringworm, gangrene or just plain filthy?

9. Colton's compassion makes me swell up with pride.  If I stub my toe or bang my elbow, he'll ask if I'm okay and if I need a kiss.  Today, I was holding my belly, and he wanted to know if it hurt.  I said, "No, it's just heavy."  He came over to me and tried to hold it up for me. 

10. I am excited, overwhelmed, apprehensive and ecstatic all at the same time to think we're going to have another yo-yo to amaze and befuddle us, create more paperwork and laundry, double the grocery bill and cuddle with!

No comments:

Post a Comment