Recently, I've been a little upset about the state of our home and how it seems to be falling down around our ears. After a wonderful night with my son, and after reading Julie's post about "how [she] does it" (makes it as a mom and professional woman), I decided to re-evalute the importance of different aspects of my life. I wonder sometimes what "HOME" means. I work at home, I play at home, and I spend 99% of my time at home.
In order to gain some perspective, on such an overwhelming subject, I decided that I should eliminate some of the things that home is not.
Home is NOT paying bills.
Home is NOT a malfunctioning septic tank.
Home is NOT an unbalanced a/c unit as a result of the malfunctioning septic tank.
Home is NOT a filthy house with laundry piles in every room and a week's worth of dishes on the counter-also as a result of the malfunctioning septic tank.
Home is NOT stress.
By process of elimination, I have determined the following:
Home IS the small smiles from Colton as he enjoys the dinner I microwaved (yes, Julie, me too) and the ketchup gleaned from Sonic meals because neither Clinton nor I eat the stuff on a regular basis.
Home IS the dogs that beg for my attention, even without food as a bribe and trust me to take care of them and love them as much as they love me.
Home IS welcoming my boys at the door after work.
Home IS the coffee I enjoy every morning in my favorite spot on the couch while using my laptop.
Home IS welcoming friends and sharing an evening or a weekend at our dining room table.
Home is the goodnight kisses we never miss, even if Colton's already asleep.
Therefore, I've come to the conclusion that "HOME" means love and happiness. Welcome Home to Me!
Heather,
ReplyDeleteYour blog is just beautiful! Have fun chronicling your days.
This post is so wonderful. I think the real things that make a home can get lost in the foreground of the tangibles of day-to-day living. Such a good feeling when we stop to enjoy them!