Friday, February 18, 2011
The Laundry Fairy at Coinless Laundry
As I have previously discussed, our septic is on the fritz...still. My impatience with this issue notwithstanding, I found myself forced to visit the laudromat. Recalling laundromats from yesteryear (i.e. my college years), I was trying to psych myself up to endure a dark, dingy, tile-floored den, full of shady or questionable characters, broken machines and smelling faintly of burned clothes. In order to minimize the awfulness, I went to the best resource I knew for locations and reviews, the internet. After several hours of searching, I found one behind an apartment complex not far from the hospital where I delivered my son. I knew I could find it easily, it looked clean in the pics online (their own website, mind you), and seemed fairly large-large enough to accommodate my very active 19 month old. Best of all, the reviews online were positively glowing! Free Wi-Fi, TV's, books/magazines, fully attended, and best of all, it was COINLESS! One less stop I would have to make early in the morning to get change with a cranky toddler in tow. Immediately, I started mentally preparing myself and prepped all the laundry so all I would have to do is load the machines and start them, just in case Colton's attitude went south very quickly. I desperately tried to find a childcare solution so I didn't have to expect a toddler to sit while the laundry washed and dried. I finally voiced my futility to my husband who calmly suggested, "Why don't you just call our normal daycare provider and ask her if she'll take him as a drop in for a few hours?" Duh. Why didn't I think of that? Of course, she was willing to help out, and the laundromat was located less than 10 minutes from the daycare. I congratulated myself on having cleared the most daunting hurdle of my task. Thank God for husbands who are clear thinkers! Friday morning dawned overcast and misting. Colton awoke cranky and ready for a disagreement at the drop of a hat. Thank goodness my sitter has the patience of a saint! I dropped Colton off and made my way to the laundromat. I walked in and approached the counter. The attendant was smiling and uber helpful. She gave me several options, and upon seeing my overwhelmed expression, she said, "OK. Go get your clothes and I'll help you load the machines and start them. Then we talk about cost." 10 minutes later, the machines were loaded, and she said, "Now, go get coffee. You look like you need it." Man, she must've been some kind of mind reader! I walked to the gas station, brewed my own fresh pot and returned to the laundromat. The wash cycle took 25 minutes. The dry cycle took about 35 or 40. Soon, I was at the counter, closing my tab, and loading the car with my laundered clothes. 7 double-size loads, washed and dried, took just short of 2 hours, and cost only $20. The fact that I didn't have to get change and worry about the machine eating my money, making sure I bring enough, etc., was enough to make my experience a positive one. As I was leaving, the attendant yelled, "Have a great day, Heather!" She remembered my name. Wow, talk about unexpected great customer service! I am still in awe about the incredibly positive experience I had today at the laundromat. I must've had a guardian angel with me today, a laundry angel-or fairy, perhaps. As of today, I no longer wonder about the existence of the laundry fairy. Now, the easter bunny, however.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nice :)
ReplyDelete